Ulcos

Structure and financing


ULCOS is today the largest endeavour within the steel industry worldwide proactively looking for solutions to the threat of global warming. The consortiumĀ“s expertise ranges from steelmaking to biomass production and geological Carbon dioxide(CO2) storage and it includes process science as well as engineering, economics of energy and foresight studies in relation to climate change.



The budget is 75 million Euro over a 6 year period, which means that roughly 80 man-years are devoted to the programme every year and involves double this number of individuals. The partners in the ULCOS consortium foot the bill for 60 percent of the total cost. The European commission financially contributes the remaining 40 percent through its 6th Framework and the RFCS (Research Fund Coal Steel) programmes. Both are set up to promote industrial research and technological development within Europe.